Chocolate Mint Ice Cream Sandwiches
I can’t take much credit for this one. For starters, the whole thing was the Squeeze’s idea. I found the cookie recipe at The Joy of Baking and didn’t change it a bit, and the ice cream is a simple adaptation of my friend Bob Hopkins’ vanilla ice cream formula. When you make them, however, I suggest that you keep all the glory for yourself.
You’ll want to start on the ice cream three days ahead of when you plan on eating these beauties.
Mint Ice Cream
|whole milk||1 ½ cup|
|heavy cream||2 ¾ cups||divided|
|fresh mint leaves||10||washed and crushed|
|white sugar||¾ cup|
- Scald milk and add mint leaves. Let steep five minutes.
- Add half of the cream.
- Bring mixture to a simmer. Do not allow to boil.
- In a separate bowl, beat sugar into egg yolks until mixture is very smooth and light yellow in color.
- Slowly whisk simmering milk mixture into egg mixture.
- Return to heat and cook until thickened.
- Remove from heat, add remaining cream, and pass through a strainer to remove mint leaves and any cooked bits of egg.
- Chill overnight.
- Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Freeze churned ice cream over night again before making sandwiches.
Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
|unsalted butter||4 ounces||at room temperature|
|brown sugar||½ cup|
|white sugar||¼ cup|
|vanilla extract||1 teaspoon|
|unbleached all-purpose flour||1 cup|
|cocoa powder||¼ cup|
|baking powder||½ teaspoon|
|baking soda||¼ teaspoon|
|iodized salt||1/8 teaspoon|
|bittersweet chocolate chips||1 cup|
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and prepare two baking pans.
- Cream butter and sugars until fluffy and light.
- Beat in vanilla and egg. Scrape down beater and sides of the bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir in dry ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Drop teaspoonsful of batter onto prepared baking sheets.
- Bake on center oven rack 8 – 10 minutes, or until the centers of the cookies are still soft, but the edges are well set.
- Cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to finish cooling.
- Scoop out an ice cream puck roughly the same diameter as your cookies, and as thick as you please.
- Place ice cream puck between cookie bottoms and smush the sandwich gently between your palms.
- Return sandwiches to the freezer for a minimum of 20 minutes before serving.
- If making well in advance, wrap individual sandwiches in plastic wrap before re-freezing.