Lemon Poppyseed Yogurt Waffles
A while back, my friend Max called to rave about using yogurt in her waffle batter. She was right.
|unbleached all-purpose flour||2 cups|
|iodized salt||1 teaspoon|
|baking soda||2 ½ teaspoon|
|lemon zest||from one large lemon|
|unsalted butter||4 tablespoons||melted|
|plain low-fat yogurt||¾ cup|
|lemon juice||2 teaspoons|
|cream of tartar||pinch||for the egg whites|
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly combine flour, salt, baking soda, lemon zest, and poppyseeds.
- In a separate bow, whisk together egg yolks, buttermilk, yogurt, milk, and melted butter. Set aside.
- In a third bowl or electric mixer, whip egg whites and cream or tartar to soft peaks.
- Make a well in the flour mixture and pour in buttermilk mixture. Mix gently with a whisk until just incorporated. Some lumps are OK.
- Toward the end of mixing, fold in egg whites.
- Bake in waffle maker until crisp and golden.
- Serve with powdered sugar, berry syrup, maple syrup or anything else delicious.