Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies
||creamy or chunky, it’s your call (I like Adam’s brand)
||at room temperature
|unbleached all-purpose flour
|jam or jelly
||whatever you like
- Cream together butter and sugars until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Beat in peanut butter until uniformly combined.
- Beat in egg.
- Stir in dry ingredients and mix until dough comes together. Dough will likely be a bit crumbly at the bottom of the bowl; just knead a few times to mix it in.
- Wrap dough in plastic and chill at least thirty minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Divide dough into ½ ounce pieces and roll into spheres.
- Place balls on baking sheet (greased, or lined with parchment or a Silpat) and smush to form discs about ¼” tall.
- Using your finger, a chopstick, or some other similarly shaped item, press a divot in the dough large enough to accommodate about ¼ teaspoon jam or jelly.
- Spoon preserves into the dough (I use a heaped ¼ teaspoon).
- Sprinkle white sugar around the edge of the cookie, if you’d like a crispier finish.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8 – 12 minutes, or until edges are firm and golden.
© Janine Eckhart. Except where noted, natch.