Roasted Corn and Black Bean Salad
This is one of my favorite summer dishes, great alongside a grilled meal outside. Try it slightly warmed with lemon-ginger grilled shrimp and warm corn tortillas (above), at room temperature as a potato salad picnic alternative, or make up something else entirely (and report back). When you are dicing up your ingredients, try to make them all about the same size.
|fresh corn||or frozen|
|red bell pepper||diced small|
|yellow onion||you guessed it – small dice!|
|garlic||minced or pressed|
|fresh lime juice|
- Heat a small amount of vegetable oil in your favorite skillet – I prefer to use my big ol’ cast iron pan for this.
- Once hot but not smoking, add the corn kernels and cook until well browned.
- Remove the corn to a bowl and wipe out skillet if necessary. Add a bit more oil and moderate the heat.
- Cook the garlic, bell pepper, onion, pineapple, and zucchini until the vegetables are just done and the pineapple is caramelized. Bear in mind they will have different cooking times.
- Squeeze lime juice over jícama and sprinkle on a generous amount of cayenne pepper.
- Combine all ingredients: the pan-roasted corn, caramelized pineapple, cooked beans and veggies, seasoned jicama, salt, and pepper.
- If possible, let salad rest a few hours or overnight to let the flavors deepen.
- Serve warm, cold, or at room temperature.