Savory Corn Pancakes
These little corn cakes are super easy to make, can be made to go with a variety of dishes, and are, of course, very, very tasty.
Yields about ten four-inch pancakes.
|red bell pepper||1/3 cup||very small dice|
|corn kernels||8 ounces||fresh or frozen|
|unbleached all-purpose flour||½ cup|
|yellow cornmeal||½ cup|
- In a medium bowl, combine flour and cornmeal. Set aside.
- Combine corn and milk in food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Beat in eggs and yolks.
- Stir in dry mixture.
- Fold in scallions, bell pepper, and cilantro.
- Heat heavy skillet (you can’t beat cast iron!) to medium high heat with a little bit of vegetable oil.
- Spoon about two tablespoons of batter into the pan and smooth out a little to form a round.
- Cook like a pancake, browning both sides – about three minutes per side.
- Serve as a side for grilled meats, as a topped, blini-like appetizer, or, as pictured above, as a main course covered with black beans and herbs.